At Brixworth CEVC Primary School we recognise the importance of our pupils social, emotional and mental health needs. The Hive opened in Spring 2021 as a safe place where small groups of children could access a curriculum designed to meet their needs not only academically but also socially, emotionally and developmentally. Most children attend The Hive for 4 mornings a week although this is individualised to meet each child’s needs and some children attend fewer sessions if this is appropriate for them. The number of sessions that children attend is constantly being reviewed based on their achievements.
In order for our pupils to achieve well academically it is fundamental that their social, communication and emotional needs are well met and understood so they can truly ‘be the best that we can be’.
Nurture Based Principles
The Hive focuses on Nurture UK based principles which include the following:
- Children’s learning is understood developmentally
- The classroom offers a safe base
- The importance of nurture for the development of self-esteem
- Language is a vital means of communication
- All behaviour is communication
- The importance of transition in children’s lives
Our aims and objectives
In The Hive we aim to provide a carefully structured routine, where there is a balance of learning and teaching, affection and structure within a home-like atmosphere.
- To increase inclusive practice for children with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties and to develop ways in which the school supports such children.
- To facilitate a positive whole school ethos inline with the school behaviour policy and Inclusion policy.
- To develop awareness about the cause of dysregulated behaviours and the effective management of these difficulties. The importance of relational, regulation and restorative approaches are understood in The Hive.
- To raise the achievement of children with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.
- To increase joint working practices between school staff and outside agencies when required.
- To increase parental involvement in supporting their children and developing a positive attitude toward school.
Photos of the Hive