Being prepared for life as a global citizen is becoming increasingly important for our children. At Brixworth, our modern foreign languages provision aims to start to equip our children with the skills they will need to live and work in an international arena, as well as celebrate the joy that being a global citizen brings with it.
Our languages curriculum focuses on developing the skills needed to build capacity for learning languages in general, through the medium of French. Children learn about phonics, grammar and general communication skills, such as intonation, gesture and body language. Our teaching focuses on language learning skills and knowledge about language, teaching our children to be language “detectives” and better learners.
We celebrate the languages some of our children already know, whether through home languages, experiences of languages earlier in their education or through extra-curricular activities and help them to see themselves not just as French speakers, but as linguists.
We also not only learn about differences between cultures but similarities too and most importantly, that learning languages is great fun!
The following resources are to support your child in practising what they have learned in class and in enjoying authentic French materials. Each PowerPoint includes new language content for the lesson and the French can be accessed by clicking on the pictures.
What can I do to support my child?
- practise the finger rhymes by copying the actions in the pictures and joining in with the French
- rehearse new language learned by listening and repeating
- rehearse new language by clicking on the French and seeing if your child can respond with an action, where appropriate
- as a next step, encourage your child to predict the French that they will hear when you click on the picture
- sing along to the karaoke versions of the songs together and all join in as a family!